September 26, 2021 | Scheduled Maintenance
Keep in mind that this documentation may be out of date. Our past updates remain available in our help center as a historical record. We've come a long way since 2014!
On Sunday, September 26, 2021, we will perform scheduled maintenance from 0:00 AM to 1:00 AM PST* on the BEE Plugin system.
We expect actual downtime to be about 15 minutes but not consecutive.
All applications using the BEE editor - including our own web site at beefree.io - will be affected.
Why this scheduled maintenance?
We will be performing scheduled maintenance to the BEE Pro backend.
Will the editor be unavailable?
Yes. Although the maintenance window is 1 hour, we expect actual downtime to be about 15 minutes. We will make every effort to ensure that maintenance is performed as quickly as possible.
Services not directly related to the editor itself, such as delivery of images hosted in our default storage, will not be impacted. In other words, images in messages already created or sent, even if they are hosted by us, will display correctly.
What will users of the BEE editor see?
Users that launch the editor during the period of downtime within the maintenance window will see a "We'll be back soon!" service page, similar to the following.
- The message will only be in English.
- The message will only be shown during the downtime portion of the maintenance window. That window could be as short as 45 minutes.
- The message will only be displayed to users that launch the editor during downtime: those that are already using the editor will not see this message. See the next paragraph for information about how they will be affected.
What if someone is already using the editor?
Users that are already using the editor at the time the downtime starts (i.e. "active users") will experience the editor not responding to certain actions. Some tasks (e.g. moving a content item) will work just fine, but others (e.g. loading a new image) will not respond.
To minimize impact and optimize their user experience, we recommend the following:
- Notify users of your application in various ways (e.g. email, a courtesy message inside your application, etc.), informing them of the maintenance window and asking them not to create or edit messages/pages during that window. We recommend that you use a maintenance window that's a bit larger than the one indicated at the top of this page.
- Remind them about it as the maintenance window approaches.
We will send you a "Maintenance completed" email message once the task has been completed. If all goes as expected, it will be sent as quickly as 45 minutes after the start of the maintenance window. If something goes wrong and we need to roll back, we estimate the rollback to take about one hour.
You can also follow our status page to track the progress of this maintenance work.
Will beefree.io be affected too?
Yes, both BEE FREE and BEE PRO at beefree.io will be affected. There are also 3 other applications within MailUp Group that will be affected. So a total of 5 production instances in our group of companies. And they are all users of BEE Plugin just like you. Any downtime affects us too: no shortcuts or special treatments. So we have every incentive to make sure it's as short and painless as possible.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
*In the United States and Canada, this time zone is generically called the Pacific Time Zone. Specifically, time in this zone is referred to as Pacific Standard Time (PST) when standard time is being observed (early November to mid-March), and Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) when daylight saving time (mid-March to early November) is being observed.